Upshifting without clutch.
Mike Morgan
2010-09-27 15:34:10 UTC
My son is a truck driver. During a recent visit he showed me how to upshift
my '01 911 without using the clutch. He would get up to normal shift rpms,
back off the gas a little, slide the shifter into neutral, then the next
higher gear. This worked with no grind, jerk or other obvious problem.

Is this wise? It obviously saves on clutch wear, but I worry about whatever
else may be happening in the transmission.

Mike
simon
2010-10-05 04:18:00 UTC
Post by Mike Morgan
My son is a truck driver. During a recent visit he showed me how to upshift
my '01 911 without using the clutch. He would get up to normal shift rpms,
back off the gas a little, slide the shifter into neutral, then the next
higher gear. This worked with no grind, jerk or other obvious problem.
Is this wise? It obviously saves on clutch wear, but I worry about whatever
else may be happening in the transmission.
Mike
it is better to use the clutch, otherwise ,the gearbox and the Clutch
film should be Damaged,
Dlee
2010-10-12 19:27:18 UTC
Post by Mike Morgan
My son is a truck driver. During a recent visit he showed me how to upshift
my '01 911 without using the clutch. He would get up to normal shift rpms,
back off the gas a little, slide the shifter into neutral, then the next
higher gear. This worked with no grind, jerk or other obvious problem.
Is this wise? It obviously saves on clutch wear, but I worry about whatever
else may be happening in the transmission.
Mike
If you can do it consistently without grinding and don't feel the
synchros working it won't hurt anything. You have to keep an eye on
your RPM's and speed. Truck diesel motors decelerate slower than gas
motors and are easier to synchronize. Gas motors decelerate rather
quickly, so you have less time to shift at the right time without using
the clutch.