advice for 993
Pak
2007-05-16 22:07:13 UTC
hello all,
I'm looking at buying a 993 ; as a former owner of a '83 SC which left me a
little disappointed 10 years ago (many mechanical pbs, starting with
gearbox), I don't know very well where to look at potential defaults.
Considering my budget (~28k?) the car would reach 100000 to 150000 kms and
be a '94 or '95 model or so ; could you give me some advice to help me find
the 993 of my dreams ; apart from going to a Porsche dealer, are there
websites with good info, maintenance schedules and budgets, etc ?
Thanks for your help,
Pascal - France
Lawrence Lugar
2007-05-17 00:27:56 UTC
great car! 993 911

what color combo are you seeking?
coupe of cab?
tip or manual?
turbo twist wheels, or gt-style?
Pascal - France
Pak
2007-05-17 06:20:24 UTC
I prefer coupe & manual
for colors I'm quite traditional, black/grey/blue/white will do fine, with
brown/black/blue leather inside. No special exterior style required. I
prefer C4 but C2 will do if money's too tight..
I think I'll drive 10/12000km per year with it so that 1 maintenance /year
will be enough (am I right ?)
So, what should I take care of before I buy ? What has to have been replaced
for a model that age ?
Thanks again,
Pascal
Pascal - France
The Dead Senator
2007-05-17 16:20:19 UTC
Post by Pak
hello all,
I'm looking at buying a 993 ; as a former owner of a '83 SC which left me a
little disappointed 10 years ago (many mechanical pbs, starting with
gearbox), I don't know very well where to look at potential defaults.
Considering my budget (~28k?) the car would reach 100000 to 150000 kms and
be a '94 or '95 model or so ; could you give me some advice to help me find
the 993 of my dreams ; apart from going to a Porsche dealer, are there
websites with good info, maintenance schedules and budgets, etc ?
Thanks for your help,
Pascal - France
The 993 site I frequent often is:

http://www.p-car.com

Also, there are the forums on Rennlist:

http://www.rennlist.com

And Pelican Parts forums:

http://www.pelicanparts.com

A ton of great info out there. The 993 is a great car and I have had
very few problems with mine. Maintenance is not much more than you
would expect (~$1200US/yr) from any of these cars. Tires can be more
expensive, especially if you get into an 18" wheel. Stock alignments
with the early 993s will wear out the rear tires fast and a realignment
with modified specs is in order.

I have done much of the work myself, most maintenance and reparations to
the nose and suspension. Both pushed my limits and not everything is
easy to work on, but I am constantly amazed by the thoughtful
engineering put into these cars. My car was built in March of 1995 with
ODB-I. This will make it easier to chip when I choose to do so. An
ODB-II car is not. Something to consider.

I think the 993 is a great choice for you. If you would kindly fly me
to France, I will help you pick one out. ;~P

DS
95 993 Coupe
Pak
2007-05-17 16:59:58 UTC
Thank you all for the good tips, I'll complete my readings and start making
phone calls :-)

there's a nice 1st hand '95 C4 up in Belgium, 162000km/28900?, that I might
go take a look at.
Close to our border with Germany there also are a few good retailers
(sws-stutzmann for ex), who deserve attention.

If our new President would kindly give up gas taxes I might invite you all,
otherwise ... I'll post photos ;-)

Pascal
95 993 Coupe
Low Life #3
2007-05-17 17:26:06 UTC
"Pak" <***@c.d> wrote in message news:464c8a0c$0$21151$***@news.club-internet.fr...
:
: If our new President would kindly give up gas taxes I might invite you
all,
: otherwise ... I'll post photos ;-)

I'm in Frankfurt am Main, our gas is no less expensive than yours... Got a
new train that runs between Paris and Frankfurt at speeds up to 320kph and
gets there in 3 hours and 45 minutes which is faster than driving a 996.

Enjoy your new/used ride (but why not a Renault Alpine?)
The Dead Senator
2007-05-18 05:57:06 UTC
Post by The Dead Senator
My car was built in March of 1995 with
ODB-I. This will make it easier to chip when I choose to do so. An
ODB-II car is not.
On Board Diagnostic system is OBD not ODB. That's what I get for typing
before I've had coffee!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Board_Diagnostics
s***@somewhere.net
2007-05-18 23:35:10 UTC
You ain't down wit da Wu-Tang Clan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ol'_Dirty_Bastard

Shee-it. ODB da Man!
Guru
2007-05-17 16:20:17 UTC
You definitely want a '95 or later. In '96, they made some significant
improvements to the engine and I would recommend '96 or '97. '98 would be
great; however, if they did in Europe what they did in the U.S., all the
'98's were "wide body" "S" models, and are still expensive. Also, Carrera
4's will probably require more maintenance long term. Depends on whether
you drive in snow or ice on a regular basis.

In any event, you'll want to take the car to a qualified Porsche garage to
have it inspected prior to buying to make sure there are no hidden problems.

Good luck...